One Nation Under Dog

At 1pm every Tuesday, the HBO channel presents a documentary film after the premiere of Game of Thrones. This week is One Nation Under Dog, a film about the dogs and the people in America. It leaves me some feeling so I grab a cup of Rum (which now I realize how much I hate it) and write these words.




At the begin of the film, they tell a story about the dogs's attitude toward people. In a small town, a teenager was bitten by her friend's dog, whose family was The Taffes. The dad of this family was also a doctor, so he took care of the girl's bite in condition that her family promised not to tell anyone about that accident. Her mom was frightened, but agreed to this arrangement. However, later on they found out that this family's dogs had been acting aggressive and biting many people, thus they took that family to Court. There were many accusations, a noticeable one belonged to a mother whose 5-year-old daughter's left ear had even been bitten off. People in town were scared of that family and treated them horribly as if they had been freaks or devils. On the other hand, The Taffes was just a normal family who didn't even take part in the country entertainment club. Those dogs were like their children, and even their children were so closed to the dogs as they were brothers and sisters. In my opinion, Mrs. Taffe must have been feared that his dogs, or I might say his children, could be hurt by people they found out, which leads to the agreement with the teenager's mom. He just wanted to protect his precious ones. However, they did protect it too much and maybe didn't really know how to train a nice dog as the dogs were being dangerous to other people with their bad attitude (he should try invite Ceasar Milan in). After all, they willingly took Duke, the one bitten that teenager, to his eternal sleep. The dog silently felt asleep in their arms and painful tears. That moment I could never forget.

These are their dogs


They lost their child. With the same emotion, many other dog owners around the country have lost their precious one. In order to share and sympathize with each other, a woman has founded a small group for the people who lost their dogs. They share about that difficult time when they have to listen to their dog's last breath. Hearing their confession, I realize that dogs are not just siblings, not just friends,...but are something else other than that, which cannot be described through words. Some people reported they had many intimate behaviors that don't even seem to appear with people. This makes the moment when they say goodbye to dogs more harder to accept. Up until now, I still scare of having pets with me because I cannot easily let go of them when they meet their time. I love it when talking and caress and playing around with an animal, but I cannot stand the truth that they will soon go away. I'm too scared to the feeling of getting away from someone or something closed to me. In other words, I'm afraid that my relationship with other, humans or animal or even lifeless things get into a bad mood, such as cold attitude, turning into just acquaintances without any serious and deep feelings,... or splitting up by some reasons, death.

Uhm....Let me get this clear. I have dreamed this dream all over and over again, especially when a graduation comes and I have to say goodbye to my friends. It always begins with the scene that my grandpop bought me a puppy. He is cute and we get along very very well. It's often that we go through some kind of an adventurous and dangerous experience or mission (?!) together. We understand each other and are so closed. But don't know how the very last seconds of the adventure, the moment of victory, when I turn around and look for him, he has turn into a lifeless, immobile stuffed dog, despite that obviously he was an alive normal puppy at the beginning. Actually, there are some sign showing that he was gradually turning into a stuffed dog, but I kept trying to make those sign disappear, although nothing was changed afterward after all. My grandpop tells me it's nothing, buy me a new puppy. And all of those things above repeat, and repeat again countless times while I am stuck in that nightmare. I wake up, feeling hollow.

Back into the film, the last part is Hope, talking about people who try to save the stray or abused dogs. Some are given the chances of having a new life and new home with better and sweet love, while some aren't that lucky and end up in the gas chamber. I am most impressed by the story of Crystal, an aggressive dog who don't have trust in humans. When the dog saver opened her cage, she was glaring at him and her position was prepared to fight. Her eyes were wide opened, her teeth were ready to bite. He managed to wrap the collar around her neck anyway and led her outside. On the green-grass rug, she was so happy and energetic as if she wasn't be able to see the sunlight for a long time. Then she showed her sweet side by asking for cuddle hands and touching the one who had just saved her, in spite of her bad attitude she had minutes ago. She was a nice, beautiful and gorgeous black-haired girl. In the end, she met her new master and played around with her on the beach, happily.

Every dogs, or humans deserve a second chance to live their life. Only that not every ones are given that opportunity or not use that opportunity right. These dog saver people cannot save every single unlucky dog, but they are still doing their best to make a better life for dogs. Who knows, one day there won't be any stray dogs left in the corner of the street or ended their life inside concrete cages.

Dogs and humans have a strangely connection and similarities with each other, not only in our relationship, but our life also.

.Blambodee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramdom Sketches